February 15, 2013 by Ville Raivio
Keikari’s content is based on my experiences, the contents of my library, the talks I’ve had with those in the business and the countless pieces I’ve read online. The best source for all things concerning style is still Styleforum.net, whose thousands of members make up for an incomparable hive mind. The main task for anyone reading the site is to sift through all the opinions, advice and conflicting statements on offer. This will be easier if the reader is already familiar with the basics of style, and takes SF’s content with a grain of salt. The forum also boasts a wonderful collection of tailors, cordwainers, retailers, makers and style nerds who share a passion. There’s just something about style, about the pleasant sensations of fabrics, and the play of light on their surface.
My book references so far are:
- Alan Flusser: “Dressing the man”
- Alan Flusser: “Clothes and the Man”
- Nicolas Antongiavanni: “The Suit”
- G. Bruce Boyer: “Elegance”
- G. Bruce Boyer: “Eminently Suitable”
- Brian Dobbs: “The Last Shall Be First”
- Hal Rubenstein: “The Gentry Man”
- Peter McNeil& Vicki Karaminas: “The Men’s Fashion Reader”
- Bernhard Roetzel: “Gentleman – A Timeless Fashion”
- HRH The Duke of Windsor: “Winsor Revisited”
- Stephen Howarth: “Henry Poole – Founders of Savile Row”
- Eric Musgrave: “Sharp Suits”
- Ellen Moers: “The Dandy – Brummell to Beerbohm”
- James Sherwood: “Bespoke – the Men’s Style of Savile Row”
- Richard Anderson: “Bespoke – Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed”
- Lázsló Vass&Magda Molnár: “Handmade Shoes For Men”
- Richard Walker: “The Savile Row Story”
- Heini Welling: “Turhamainen mies – narri vai sankari?”
These are backed by old magazines like Esquire and Gentry.
The site’s pictures are either my own or borrowed from online sources, with a clear reference to the original uploader. When the original photographer is not mentioned or I’ve saved the picture a long time ago, I will mark the picture as © original uploader. If the reader wants to have his or her picture removed, please contact me. Some pictures are copyright-free due to their age.
I have also used Wikipedia’s pages with a large number or references. Most of what can be found on the site is still based on my observations and experiences. Thus, the statements made are subjective and this point should be remembered. What works for me may not suit the reader. When the reader finds an error in any text, I urge him to contact me so the text can be revised. The site is not an academical one, thus no direct references, apart from quotes and links, are used.
Category References | Tags: